Friday, March 18, 2011

Contacts

In this industry it is important to make contacts. You wanna try to do this in many different ways, websites, work, social events, random and chance encounters.

Working is more then likely  one of your best chances to meet people. Where better to meet film people then on a filmset. My first indie film was crewed and casted pretty much entirely by people I had met on the set of Paul Gross's H2O. Now you might be asking me  how do I get work on a filmset, no movies are made where I live. Well check your local Kijiji or Craigslist ads, there is always some local indie film maker looking for people to help on his film. Theses Indie film makers are tomorrows big names so help them out now and they might help you out in the future on your film.

Random encounters are always good as well, I have met many people in coffee shops,  and the like. You might over hear a conversation, or the person you are with might know the person you run into. If this is the case you might want to be prepared for this situation.  Make yourself up some business cards, this is easy and cheap to do. You can ether do it by making them yourself on your computer at home or going to Staples and having them made up. You don't need to have anything fancy mine simply reads my name, that I'm a film maker/writer/photographer, and my contact information.  Handing out a card is much better he writing your contact info on a scrap of paper and giving it to someone.

So those are just a few ways to make contacts there are more but theses are the easiest ways. And don't worry once you get some work on real film sets you'll make even better contacts it all takes time and effort don't give up on your dream, if you do it'll only ever be a dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment